Resolve to Lighten Up
Resolve to Lighten Up!
It’s almost here – resolution time! This time of year is notorious for weight loss and health related goals. We resolve to workout more and eat less, all in an effort to become healthier. These resolutions usually go something like one of these five scenarios:
1. “I want to lose 10 pounds in the next month. ”This one is so common. You go on a diet. You restrict your calories. You’re successful at dropping 10 pounds! You rock! You start eating again and the scale starts to creep back up. You’re confused and depressed. So you give up entirely and gain back 10+ pounds. And the cycle continues.
2. “I need to change my eating and lose some weight. I’m going to do it in the next three months. I’ll cut out all processed foods and eat only whole foods for the next 90 days. I’ll meal prep and buy all organic. I’ll go to the gym at least three times a week to workout. It will be great!!” You can relate, right? Then what happens? You go to the store to shop and come home with an entire cart full of food that you don’t typically eat, more than likely won’t enjoy, and is likely labor intensive to prep. With this scenario people typically last a matter of days, get discouraged and end up wasting most of the food they bought because they don’t like it and just give up (while feeling defeated and sometimes even as far as “worthless” because they can’t eat the way they think they have to eat in order to change their body). And what happens when your alarm goes off at 4:30 am to make it to the gym? Snooze happens, that’s what.
3. “I need to make a change. I’m not happy in this body. I’m going to start eating better and exercising.” This is a fairly common scenario. The problem with this scenario is that most people don’t know what “eating better” should look like. You also may assume that going to the gym for 60 minutes and doing some cardio is the best way to help you reach your goals. The problem with this scenario is that you’ll change your eating and even make it to the gym but you may not see the results you want. You’ll likely lose your momentum because you’re discouraged by your lack of progress.
4. “I need to lose weight. I’m going to try [insert the name of a fad diet here]. I’ve had friends that lost tons of weight and look great! I’m willing to pay [insert amount here] for this. I can do this!” So you do it. And it works! But it only works while you’re doing it! When you go back to your “normal” life away from the little containers or tempted by foods that are no longer “off limits” you realize that you don’t really know how to eat. You know you can’t do [insert name of fad diet here] forever. It just isn’t realistic. Remember why the weight loss industry is so lucrative. It’s because people have to repeat their efforts over and over again.
5. “I want my body to change. I eat really healthy. I eat minimally processed foods. I consistently exercise 4-5 days per week. I lift weights and do high intensity conditioning but my body doesn’t look the way it should for the amount of work I put in. I know I have muscles they’re just not as defined as I’d like them to be. I just want my body to reflect my hard work! And I’d love to get stronger, too!” This is so frustrating! You’re doing everything right and you’re very healthy! You just lack the knowledge on how to eat in a way that will fuel your body for composition change and performance. It’s not your fault. You eat healthy! You’re fit! You just might not look as fit as you should for the work you’re putting into being healthy.
One of or more of these scenarios likely sound familiar and they’re equally discouraging. Losing weight and changing habits is tough work. Which is why I started Truth Nutrition Coaching! I want to walk alongside you and guide you as you learn your foodand start to recognize what balanced eating looks and feels like for YOU.
Here’s what you get when you sign up for nutrition coaching:
1. Personalized nutrition goals. I’ll take a look at how you’re currently eating and set some realistic goals that will help you reach your weight loss / performance goals. No foods are off limits. Yes, I always recommend that wholesome foods make up the bulk of your diet, but real life happens and it’s unrealistic to think that you’ll never eat fast food or go out for pizza. Your goals are designed to help you learn how to balance wholesome with realistic in order to create a sustainable approach to eating.
2. Encouragement, accountability and support.You’ll have access to me via email and text for questions and support. If you prefer FaceTime or another “live” option, we can definitely come up with something that works for you. You’ll also have an assigned check-in day weekly where we’ll chat through struggles and make adjustment to your personalized goals. I’ll be your biggest cheerleader and give you a push when needed.
3. The opportunity to learn your food so you can stop dieting and start eating! I’m often asked why I don’t write meal plans for my clients. In my opinion, writing meals plans for people doesn’t teach them how to eat long-term and it’s unrealistic to rely on meal plans for the rest of your life. It’s also unlikely that my clients would enjoy the foods that I’d recommend them eating which would also affect the sustainability of progress. Nutrition coaching is not a diet - it’s not a quick fix to lose weight. It is about learning your food and understanding and experimenting to identify what balance looks and feels like for you. There is not a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition. Your goals will be unique to you. I will absolutely give you recommendations of foods that will work with your specific caloric needs, but it’s up to you to learn the foods you’re currently eating/enjoying and modify portions and sometimes make substitutions in order to meet your personalized nutrition goals. Learning your food requires diligent effort the first several weeks, but you’ll be shocked at how quickly you learn how to balance your eating!
4. Access to a community of people all working towards the same goal. My private Facebook group is a great resource where clients support and encourage one another and share tips and recipes. LIVE video chats are held, healthy habits are coached, resources are shared, and motivation and encouragement are served. It’s amazing to realize that you’re not journeying alone!
5. Results. All of these things combine to create an experience where you’re able to learn, grow, and achieve your goals! The whole point of nutrition coaching is to get you comfortable and confident in your eating so that you can continue or sustain your progress on your own…with all of the curveballs that real life throws your way!
Are you ready to Lighten Up? Let’s work together to make 2019 the last year lose weight or get healthier make your resolution list! Join the next coaching group that begins on January 7th. This is the only time of year I offer a discount on nutrition coaching. If you sign up for coaching by January 2nd, you’ll receive your fourth month of coaching free! That’s a $150 discount! What are you waiting for? Email me now so we can get 2019 off to a healthier start!